The Cross

Easter is one week from today and America has turned yet another holiday, that should be giving glory to God ,into a cosumer holiday. Easter egg hunts, buying candy, gifts, new clothes, crawfish boils, hanging out with family but that is NOT what it is about. Instead of spending your money on worthless stuff use the money you would spend and give to the poor, send it to a missionary, give it to your church. Easter should be the absolute most exciting time of the year because this is when we were given the chance to accept salvation and be accepted into the family of God. We should be reflecting on the cross and the resurrection. Jesus Christ did the unthinkable for you. In Deut. 21:23 it says ..."for anyone hanging on a tree is cursed by God." Galations 3:13 says, "Christ has rescued us from the CURSE pronounced by the law. When He was hung on the cross, He took upon Himself the CURSE for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." We were cursed but Jesus took it all away. Just like the old song says, "He paid a debt He did not owe, I owed a debt I could not pay, I needed someone to wash my sins away, now I sing a brand new song amazing grace, Christ Jesus paid the debt I could never pay."

I ask you this week to especially meditate on the cross. Everyday read in the gospels about the crucifixion and resurrection. Read it in different translations and read the different books. After that take just ten minutes, apart from your regular prayer time, and meditate upon the cross and what happened for you at Calvary. Take atleast one day this week to fast and pray with emphasis on Jesus did for you. Go through your music and find all the songs that talk about the cross and the price Jesus paid for you and listen to them this week. By the time Easter service comes on Sunday you will have a new sense of what was done for you. It will not be just another holiday.

The cross I wear around my neck what does it mean?
If it does not mean death, please tell me,
If it doesn't mean blood and nails of crying and loneliness,
The cross I wear around my neck what is it for?
If it's for breaking,
If it's not for pain, nakedness, or hammering,
The cross I wear around my neck is being raised above my head,
I think this time it's wearing someone else,
I see it drop into the ground, and when it falls I hear the sound,
Of someone crying, I love you.

The cross I wear around my neck what does it mean?
If it does not mean love, please tell me,
If it doesn't sing of hope and healing and forgiveness,
The cross I wear around my neck who is it for?
If it is not for me, If it's not for sin, and all my searching for the innocent,
The cross I wear around my neck is being raised above my head,
I think this time it's wearing someone else,
I see it drop into the ground, and when it falls I hear the sound,
Of someone crying, I love you.

The cross I wear around my neck who is it for?
If it is not for us, the lame, the blind, the ones held captive, and the fatherless.

--Around My Neck by 100 Portraits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Giant is Dead

In the Midst of Burning Tires and Gunfire

God Always Has Our Back