Have Compassion

Ephesians 5:16 "Making the most of every opportunity.."

There are major prejudices here, in Costa Rica, between the Costa Ricans and Nicaraguans. I was explained that how America treats and dislikes Mexicans is how the Costa Ricans feel about the Nicaraguans. I personally feel the racial prejudice runs quite a bit deeper here. Almost every person I have talked to has said nothing good about the Nicaraguans, who come here to work and send money back to their families. What they make here in one hour is about what they make in two days in Nicaragua. My heart goes out to them because they are looked down upon and given the shaft simply because they are not as well off as the people here. I believe Nicaragua is the second poorest country in the western hemisphere with Haiti at number one. Today I had to go to a few museums downtown for a project I am doing on the Indigenous people of Costa Rica. On the bus ride back there was a man standing in the aisle, because there were no more seats. He looked rough and I had my eye on him. Once everyone got on and the bus started going he started talking to us all. Costa Ricans are very quite people and rarely talk on the bus so everyone could hear him. He introduced himself and said he was from Nicaragua and was here to work but could not find work and he has a daughter with him and they have not ate and he is trying to find work but can't. He goes on about ten minutes and my heart just broke. I know money does not solve anything but like Jeremy Kingsley said, "I'd rather err on the side of giving than keeping." I did not think that anyone was going to give him any money but a few people did. I gave him some and asked what his name was and I told him that I would be praying for him. The hopelessness in his eyes gripped my heart and at that moment I could almost hear the voice of the Lord saying, "What you do to the least of these you are doing to me." The guys name is Denis and he could use your prayers as well.

Comments

Kathy said…
Ahhhhh. You are always in the right place to minister to others... or so it seems.
That's true we all need more compassion for others especially those in need.

Popular posts from this blog

A Lesson in Faith

Tripa Chuca

Wedding Details