Generosity of the Poor

"He who cannot give anything away cannot feel either." -Friedrich Nietzsche

   For those who live in the United States and think the recession is bad should open their eyes to how it is affecting countries that depend on the States for remittances.  The majority of the Salvadoran population lives under the poverty line and that is with help from the US.  Imagine how it must be and how people are hurting when their family members are losing their jobs in the US and have stopped sending money.  It seems like that is all I have been hearing about how hard it is here in El Salvador because of the "Economic crisis."  My friend and I were in the sewing room yesterday and were working on making a curtain for the backdrop for a play the kids are doing on Sunday.  I overheard some of the women talking about how hard it has been for them.  They hardly have enough money to buy food or take the bus.  In the midst of hardly having anything one of the ladies split up her lunch to give to my friend and I to eat.  She gave me a spoonful or two of beans, less than a half of piece of sausage, and two tortillas.  I was planning on going out later and buying some lunch but when someone offers you something here you take it and you eat/drink it all.  I felt so bad knowing I had money to buy food and she had nothing and was giving it to me.   Something I heard her say before she gave us the food was, "It is all in the Lord's hands and He will supply for me."  We say that all the time but do we really believe it?  If the only thing you had was the food for one meal would you still be able to say, "He will supply all my needs according to His riches in glory."  
Acts 2:44-47 "And all the believers met together constantly and shared everything they had.  They sold their possessions and shared the proceeds with those in need.  They worshipped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord's Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity--all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people.  And each day the Lord added to their group those who were being saved."

Comments

Kathy said…
That's good!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Lesson in Faith

Tripa Chuca

Wedding Details