What Can You Do?

This morning at the children's program I had a long talk with a kid who I am close to, who used to be a guardian, but isn't involved that much anymore. However, he does still come to church. He was telling me all the problems he is having with the police pegging him as a gang member. I told him I think there is a reason the police are messing with him, either he is dressing like a gang member or hanging out with the gang in his neighborhood. He told me he doesn't hang out with them he just tells them hey and stuff when he passes by. I don't know if I believe him or not but it really worries me. He is working which is good and keeps him off the streets but how do you tell a young kid to keep resisting the gangs when it is all he knows. I told him I would be there for him no matter what. I told him that I am praying that he makes the right decisions but if he does make a bad decision that I am still here as his friend. I really don't want to see him get involved with the gang and it has really bothered me all day. He was one of the first kids I met when I first came down here, his family is one of the first that I met and one of the very first houses I ate at. When he was younger his heart was totally sold out for the Lord and within these past two years he has grown up and changed. He said every time he tries to live right for God worse things just happen to him. How do you explain to a 14 year old that has seen more than I have ever seen, that has the police harassing him, one gang trying to recruit him and the opposite gang saying they are going to kill him, that if he just trusts in God he will be taken care of?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lesson in Faith

Tripa Chuca

Wedding Details