The Real Salvadoran Soccer Experience

My friend Crisi and I at the game.
The general section where we sat.

All the toilet paper on the field.
Cuscatlan Stadium

My favorite soccer team is Fas, which is from the department of Santa Ana in El Salvador. I have always wanted to go to a game but have always heard how dangerous they are. This past week they played against Toluca, a team from Mexico, at the Cuscatlan Stadium here in San Salvador. I heard a friend mention how he wanted to go and I immediately responded excitedly that I would like to go. So my friend Crici and I met up with some guys from church and we payed $4.00 for a general ticket and watched Fas play. It was definitely a completely different experience than when I watched Haiti/Costa Rica play in Costa Rica. As soon as we walked in the stadium people were yelling, horns and whistles were constantly being blown, drums beating, toilet paper and a myriad of other things were being thrown on the field. It was a lot of fun even though they tied. It was a cultural experience if there ever was one. I was happy I seemed to blend in with everyone because I never heard any remarks about a "gringa" being in the crowd. However, where we were sitting there were hardly any women at all. I think we can be considered die hard fans as we stood there cheering for Fas in the pouring down rain and of course having a cup of beer thrown on me. One more thing checked off my list of things I want to do. Now, I'd like to see the National team play.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Always Has Our Back

Tripa Chuca

Wedding Details