I Woke Up!!!

I'm reading a book called "Same Kind of Different As Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore and it is one of the best books I have ever read. I don't want to talk to much about the book because you need to go read it but here is an excerpt of just one of the parts of this book that has made me re-evaluate my life.
"Here was a man whose life seemed disposable. Yet he found a reason to smile. Drawn to him, Deborah offered him a plate of home-cooked food and a prayer. Then, truly puzzled, she asked him, 'Why are you so happy?' 'I woke up' he replied, eyes twinkling in his haggard face, 'and that's reason enough to be happy!'

Deborah rushed home to tell me what he'd said, as though she'd been given a treasure that needed to be deposited immediately in my memory bank. From that day on, three words-'WE WOKE UP!'- were the first to come out of our mouths, a tiny prayer of thanksgiving for something we'd always taken for granted, but that a derelict had had the wisdom to see as a blessing fundamental to all others."

My entire life I have felt drawn to the homeless, addicted, impoverished people of the world. I remember as a little girl sitting in the back seat of my parents car and seeing homeless people under overpasses or begging for food and going home in my room and crying. I wanted to help them I wanted to do something; but what? As I got older that compassion never went way but grew; even when I wasn't serving the Lord that seed of compassion that was placed inside me by the Holy Spirit was always there. I absolutely believe that if you pass someone on the street in need and you have something that you can give that you should give it. However, it isn't just giving money or food...it is your time, your love; God's love.

I try to go run every morning around 6 am and when I leave the park usually there is a little old man wearing dark sunglasses, the same long sleeve shirt and pants, and walking with a cane. He has a little plastic cup that when I have money I place in it and he always smiles at me and tells me, "God bless you." Today when I placed some change in his cup I asked what his name was and he looked at me surprised but told me and then he asked me if I believed in God. I told him I do and, in fact, I am a missionary and I work with children. He said, "Los niños son los ojos de Dios" which means "The children are the eyes of God." After that the light turned green and I had to go but I seriously doubt that the sweet old man begging for change has any idea how his words blessed me. Sometimes it's the simple things in life that we take for granted and things we are aware of but need to be reminded of. Just like the homeless guy in the book and the little old man begging for money they are the same kind of different as me and God has called us to demonstrate His love to all and in return you will be surprised that they will bless you. Take time out of your day to look around and create a meaningful relationship with someone on the street. Ask the Lord to give you His compassion for others, and He will.

"The one who gives to the poor will not be in need, but one who turns his eyes away will receive many curses." Proverbs 28:27

Comments

Suzette said…
HI, KRISTAL!

THANKS FOR SHARING! I ENJOYED YOUR POST ON THIS DAY! I HAVE READ THE BOOK, SAME KIND OF DIFFERENT AS ME! IT IS REALLY A GREAT BOOK, AND IT IS A TRUE STORY SO THAT MAKES IT EVEN BETTER! LET US CONTINUE TO THANK GOD THAT HE HAS GIVEN US HIS COMPASSION FOR OTHERS!

YOU ARE DOING A GREAT WORK FOR JESUS CHRIST, AND WE ARE SO VERY PROUD OF YOU! WE MISS SEEING YOU AT BETHEL!

LOVE AND PRAYERS,
Suzette and Ted E., too

Popular posts from this blog

The Giant is Dead

God Always Has Our Back

Wedding Details