The Story

Walking on the beach.
The surprise I had when we walked back.
I said, "yes."

For all the wondering and inquiring minds here is the story. Ruben and I met at the King's Castle International Training camp in Lake Coatepeque, in August, one year ago. I was working with the Guardians of the Vision and he was working a camp. After that initial meeting we realized we had many mutual friends in common and started talking and hanging out more; creating a friendship. I started to have feelings but I did not say anything because I knew the rules of being a Missionary Associate and I knew dating and having a boyfriend was out of the question so I didn't want to even dwell on the idea. So I started praying that God would take away all feelings if it was not His will and if it was His will he would confirm it. I spent a lot of time in prayer and fasting because I knew this was a serious situation. My feelings never went away; they just became stronger. We talked seriously about how we felt and I told him that I can't have a boyfriend nor can we date while I am working as a Missionary Associate that we have to maintain a friendship. At that point, however, I knew I needed to talk to my parents and my missionaries, Bro. Don and Sis. Terri Triplett. When I went home I talked to my parents because it was important that they were praying and in agreement. After I talked to my parents and returned back to El Salvador I immediately set up a meeting with Bro. Don and Sis. Terri Triplett because something Bro. Don had said a long time ago that at that if there are ever feelings for someone that they needed to be the first to know. They are the authority set over me and I wanted them to be in complete agreement, as well. At this point I was praying, "Lord, if this is not your will then if Bro. Don is not in agreement I will take that as if this relationship is not of you." When I talked to Bro. Don he said, "Well, you know the rules that you can't date but I trust that you won't cross the line. But if you think you are coming close to that line it would be best to go home now instead of finishing your term." I told him I understood and I want to do things correctly and in order and I want to finish my term in El Salvador. So that was another confirmation for me. So even though we never dated we have been friends for the past year and praying for one another and our future. Bro. Don and Sis. Terri said that after World Warriors I had permission to date Ruben and get to know him so these past two weeks have been a lot of fun as we are hanging out more and it has just been confirming more and more that he is the man for me. On August 1 he took me to a beautiful restaurant on the beach and "officially" asked me to be his girlfriend. He said, "In other circumstances I would have asked you a long time ago but because I respect God, the authority placed over you, and you this is the perfect time to ask. I don't want to skip this step because it is important." One week later on Monday, August 8, he took me to another beach called Costa del Sol. We got there in time to take a walk on the beach and watch the sunset. As we walked back he asked me if I had ever ate a real dinner on the beach...I said no, only in restaurants close to the beach. I realized as we walked back that there was a table set up on the beach, all by itself, and on the table was a vase full of my favorite flowers which are Birds of Paradise. As we got closer there was a walkway made in the sand with candles and rose petals leading up to the table. When we sat down he had already ordered food and we ate grilled shrimp, veggies, and salad. After that a traditional Salvadoran desert called Budin. After dessert we talked a little bit and then he said, "Kristal, I'm going to write you something but it is a secret." So on a paper napkin he wrote something and folded it up and put it in my hand but continued to hold my hand. He told me how waiting for me was worth the while and he loves me and knows that God sent me to him and he wants me to be his wife. Then he said I could read the paper. So I read the paper and it said, "Will you marry me?" As I was reading it he put the ring box in front of me and opened it up, he took it out and asked me if I will marry him and of course I said yes and he put the ring on my finger. I was so surprised and in shock. It was such a beautiful night and completely unexpected. After that some friends that had helped him pull it all off came out prayed over us and then we took some pictures. I had said from the beginning that I did not want an engagement ring because I'm not into flashy stuff and diamonds. However, he said he wanted to get a ring to symbolize our commitment. So he gave me a plain silver band that he had made and engraved Ruben and Kristal and the date August 8, 2011. Now we are praying and planning our future and our number one desire is to serve God completely and wholly.
Sidenote: Ruben came to know Christ through the work of a King's Castle Missionary Associate named Marie who started Caste Club. So the same exact children's ministry I was working with is how my future husband became a Christian.

Comments

Zechariah 4:6 said…
That's awesome! glad to see you two are willing to lay down things that need to get out of the way in order to make that commitment.
Hi, Kristal,

You do not know me. I am Marie, who you mentioned in this blog. Faith Bates shared this with me. Congratulations! Ruben is a wonderful person. I am very happy for both for both of you!

Blessings,

Marie

Popular posts from this blog

A Lesson in Faith

Tripa Chuca

Wedding Details