Not Just a Teacher


“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” 
 William Arthur Ward

“What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches.” 
 Karl A. Menninger

"If you are a teacher; teach well." Romans 12:7


For those who are skeptical that teaching is a ministry; that it is just as important as being a missionary or pastor I have a story to tell.  I was a full time missionary for five years and I have been more involved in the lives of my students now, as a teacher, than I ever did in the lives of the children at my church.  At church I'd see the same kids on Saturday and Sunday but that was it.  As I teacher I spend six hours a day with the same kids for 10 months out of the year.  I work at  a Christian school, which as most of you know, doesn't mean that the kids or their families are Christians.  It certainly doesn't exempt them from having problems.  Last Friday I went home sad and burdened for one of my students who was crying non stop in my arms because his dad had come to the school to tell him that he was leaving him and his mom.  An eight year old boy bawling in my arms....what could I say.  Nothing.  I just held him, cried, and prayed.  Another little boy is very sick and is constantly going to the children's hospital because of a number of problems but the greatest being he only has one kidney.  What can I do for him? Nothing.  Just love him and pray for him.   I could go on and on about problems and tough situations I deal with daily that only by God's grace and wisdom am I able to manage.  I'm not just a teacher; I'm a Pastor.  Today, in our daily devotional time,  I was able to lead seven of my students to the Lord.  We talked about salvation and Jesus and I asked if anyone had never invited Jesus to live in their hearts and to my surprise seven of my students raised their hands.  What a privilege to be able to lead them to Christ and have them in my class for the remainder of the year not only teaching them English but also about the love of Jesus Christ.  When I tell you I'm a teacher don't think that is all I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Giant is Dead

God Always Has Our Back

Wedding Details