Lights Out

The beach that is about two miles from our house. Playa de los Maestros.

   I really enjoy living in La Ceiba. It is a beautiful place, rich in culture.  What I don't like are the very frequent and random power outages.  We've been told it's because of the hot climate; all the compressors can't function at the same time. Apparently, there is always a sector of the city that doesn't have electricity.  And when there are no lights there is no water.  You never know when it is going to happen but you can guarantee it's when I just started cooking, haven't taken a shower, or halfway through washing clothes.   As a result food ruins, I have to rewash soured clothes, and I look and feel like a hot mess.  The good thing is that when the electricity goes out during the day it is guaranteed to not go out at night.  When the lights go out at night it is torture; the heat and mosquitoes are unbearable. So now I give thanks to God when the lights go out during the day.  I actually wrote this blog with pen and paper because the electricity was out and the Lord brought a scripture to mind.  "Rejoice, in the Lord always."  So I REJOICE in these moments that I can't do anything; these moments I'm off the grid.  I'm learning to take advantage of these moments (very long hours) to talk to God more, to listen (because there is so much silence), and to read.  So really it's great that the light's go out....except for tolerating this tropical climate without a fan.  And praise God my Honduran baby relishes in this heat.  It doesn't even affect him and he usually just sleeps through the outages.

P.S. Today I'm super thankful fo the slight breeze as opposed to yesterday when there was none.  And my go to, no electricity, food are Chiky (a brand of cookies) chocolate cookies and good ole peanut butter. Always hits the spot.

I originally wrote this on Tuesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Always Has Our Back

Tripa Chuca

Wedding Details